|Collection||White Horse Tavern|
|Title||1814 general election returns for Amity Township|
1814 Handwritten report of general election returns for the County of Berks voting district composed of Amity Township and parts of Douglass and Union Townships. Polling was conducted at the White Horse Tavern.
Offices open for election were Governor, Congress, Assembly, Sheriffs, Coroners, Commissioners & Auditors. Each candidate is listed along with the number of votes he received. Document signed by witnessing judges.
In 1789 Berks County had been divided into 5 Election Districts; electors in the 5th District [Amity, Colebrookdale, Douglass, Earl, and Union] were directed to vote “at the public house of William Witman-called the White Horse” [Montgomery, "History of Berks County" (1886), page 475]. By 1814, undoubtedly because of population growth and long travel times from the perimeter of the vast 1789 District, its area had been reduced considerably to the Amity and the adjacent portions of Union and Douglass Townships.
See additional image or MULTIMEDIA LINKS for view of reverse side.
|Date||October 11, 1814|
|Notes||Trust only has access to digital copy recorded in this database. Physical material is part of a private collection.|
White Horse Tavern