Museum logo
Museum logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Collection George Douglass
Object Name Typescript
Title George Douglass and His Mansion
Description A six-page type-written history of George Douglass and his business influence in the area of current day Douglassville, PA, as well as a description of his political and business success. Text also contains various descriptions of elements of the George Douglass House, including the full-perimeter [“encircling”] plastered cove cornice, a refinement emanating from late 17th century “Baroque” English influences. This form of eaves transition appeared in Philadelphia in the very early 18th century, and within the next half-century migrated to Germantown, Chester and Montgomery counties, and eventually arose on more remote Germanic houses such as the Keim house in Berks County [see Archive record KHPH9 and the accompanying images and Footnotes].

See additional images for full text.
Date 2003
People Douglass, George
Catalog Number 1006.01.002
Archive Number GDTX1
Creator Pendleton, Philip
Search Terms GDTX
Morlatton Village
White Horse Tavern
Tavern
Plaster Cove Cornice
Pent Eaves
George Douglass House
George Douglass History